The 10 biggest investors in UK-listed real estate own a combined c. £17bn of shares in the FTSE 350 property market – a whopping 30% of those companies’ market cap. BlackRock, the world’s biggest asset manager, accounts for c. 4.8bn of that.
Property mogul John Whittaker’s Peel Group is the market’s 7th biggest investor despite owning significant shares in just 2 companies: intu & Hammerson.
Most investors are from the UK, but c. £10bn originates from the US.
The 10 biggest shareholders in the FTSE 350 property companies:
- Aberdeen Asset Management* – c. £0.8bn
- Coronation Fund Managers Limited – c. £1bn
- Invesco* – c. £1.1bn
- Peel Holding – c. £1.1bn
- The Vanguard Group* – c. £1.3bn
- Legal & General Investment Management – c. £1.4bn
- APG Asset Management – c. £1.4bn
- State Street Corporation* – c. £1.4bn
- Norge Bank Investment Management – c. £2.1bn
- BlacRock* – c. £4.8bn
*Parent company of multiple subsidiaries in UK property
Source – EG, Thomson Reuters